BetsOff Missouri: A Major Resource
If you aren't having fun at the casinos anymore, or if you think you (or someone you know) needs help...
1-888-BETSOFF Problem Gambling Helpline
1-888-BETSOFF (1-888-238-7633) is a 24-hour toll-free helpline for problem gamblers, their family, and friends. If you need to talk to someone and you don't know where to turn, help is just a phone call away. You can receive referrals to free compulsive gambling treatment, local meetings of Gamblers Anonymous, consumer credit counseling and more.
Free Counseling for Missouri Residents
Missouri Department of Mental Health contracts with counseling agencies to provide free treatment by certified compulsive gambling counselors to Missouri residents who either have a gambling problem or have a loved one who has a gambling problem.
If you would like a referral to free treatment, you can contact any of the following: 1-888-BETSOFF (1-888-238-7633) www.888BETSOFF.com 1-573-522-1373 (MO Gaming Commission Problem Gambling Programs Administrator) 1-800-575-7480 (Department of Mental Health Hotline: hours are 8 AM - 5 PM)
Voluntary Exclusion Program
The Missouri Gaming Commission (MGC) administers a voluntary exclusion program which provides problem gamblers with a method to acknowledge they have a gambling problem and take personal responsibility for it by agreeing to stop visiting riverboat casinos. The exclusion is for life. Casinos must remove all individuals who join the Voluntary Exclusion Program from their direct mailing lists. Research indicates problem gambling is a lifetime condition and those who suffer from it are never "cured" but are constantly "recovering."
If you would like to ban yourself from Missouri's riverboat casinos, ask the casino security personnel to direct you to the Missouri Gaming Commission Agent on duty. Applications processed daily (at the boats) from 8:00 AM - 10 PM. After these hours, you may pick up the materials to review prior to completing the application. If you would prefer to complete the application at an office other than one of the boats, you may visit one of the regional offices. Please call to make an appointment and get directions:
Jefferson City 573/5264080 3417 Knipp Drive Kansas City 816/482-5700 6300 Enterprise Road St. Louis 314/340-4400 11775 Borman Drive
If you would like to find out more about any of these programs, or require other information, contact 1-888-BETSOFF, the Missouri Gaming Commission off ice on this property, or you can also contact the Problem Gambling Programs Administrator in
the Jefferson City office at the following address and phone numbers:
Missouri Gaming Commission Attn: Problem Gambling Programs Administrator email: mstephenCcvmail.state.mo.us PO Box 1847 phone: 573/522-1373 Jefferson City, MO 65102 fax: 573/526-1999,
Keeping it a game.
Rules of responsible gambling for persons who are of legal age, to participate in gambling activities.
• Treat the money you lose as a cost of entertainment. Treat any winnings as a bonus.
• Plan ahead.
• Set a dollar limit and stick to it. Decide before you go not only what you can "afford" to lose, but how much you want to spend. Do not change your mind at the casino after losing. Leave the ATM and credit/debit cards at home or in the car.
• Set a time limit and stick to it. Decide how much of your time you want to allow for gambling, leave when you reach the time limit whether you are winning or losing.
• Expect to lose. Gambling is a business and the odds are that you will lose. Accept loss as part of the game and the cost of the recreation. (After all, do you expect to come out with more money than you take in with you when you go to see a movie or go to a theme park?)
• Make it a private rule not to gamble on credit. Do not borrow to gamble. Leave the credit cards at home.
• Create balance in your life. Gambling should not interfere with or substitute for friends, family, work or other worthwhile activities.
• Avoid "chasing" lost money.
• Don't gamble as a way to cope with emotional or physical pain.
• Become educated about the warning signs of compulsive gambling.
If you can't follow these suggestions you may need to seek help.
Call 1-888-BETSOFF for help. 1-888-238-7633 www.888BETSOFF.com